They are the special operation task force. And they mean business.
They take calculated risks. And they have taught me there’s a big difference between taking chances and being a risk taker.
Characteristics of taking chances:
Being blindingly and obsessively passionate with end results. Being inconsiderate of your surroundings – not taking into account the welfare of your family, friends, associates and employees. Gambling away your investor’s collateral. Jumping into business ventures without taking time to research. Desperate. Done.
Characteristics of taking risks:
Someone who is courageous and who is willing to put aside materialistic and conventionally idealistic dreams in pursuit of selfless and worthwhile, fulfilling visions. Someone who is passionate about who they are, what they do and know what matters in life. They count the cost and are willing to come up short. Dreamer. Doer.
I was in the vicinity of a wise woman recently and heard her say,
“Another good sign of an entrepreneur – people think you’re crazy.”
It’s true. There’s a good kind of crazy and yet still that inner calling to be an entrepreneur is something that comes with its own set of code of ethics, rules and standards. As a risk taker, you will be presented with and will search and seek out many special opportunities. Be wise in how you choose them and what you do with them.
• Will this help people?
• Will this help the next generation?
• Will this make people - make me - happy?
• Does the purpose of the produce or service align with my character?
• Is this part of my dream?
• Will it be successful in more ways than just financially?
• In 20 years will I still love it?
• Is this a reflection of who I am?
• Will this be another job or a joy?
• Am I willing to fight for it?
• Will I keep my day job too and stay up all night to sustain it?
• If I cannot do it am I willing to learn?
• If I were to fail, would I rebuild?
• Am I in it for the money?
If the only question you answered confidently was the last one with a “heck yes!” then it’s time to reevaluate the status of an entrepreneur, a risk taker. The lifestyle isn’t as glamorous as you may think. People will think you are crazy. You see, an entrepreneur is a dreamer. A doer. You’re up all day. All night. There are times you hate it, times you want to quit. You think you’re alone; there are times you want to be left alone but you’ve been given a special opp - a special opportunity, that is - and you took the risk.
Until then, refocus and remember why you do what you do,
-The Green Couch Project